Seasonal opening of Queen Louise Memorial

The Duke, Mr Engel and the Hereditary Prince

The seasonal opening of the Louise Memorial at the Hohenziertz Palace took place today with the Duke Borwin and his elder son the Hereditary Prince Alexander representing the Grand Ducal House.

The memorial which was established in 1813 by Duke (later Grand Duke) Carl is dedicated to the memory of his daughter Queen Louise of Prussia who died at the palace in 1810. She was the consort of King Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia.

During the ceremony the Duke congratulated Mr Hans-Joachim Engel, the director of Louise Memorial, on the occasion of his 80th birthday and presented him with a miniature Knights medal of the House Order of the Wendish Crown. Also present at today’s ceremony was Dr Rajko Lippert, historian of the Grand Ducal House and chairman of the Cultural Heritage of Mecklenburg-Strelitz society. The 200 guests in attendance were also treated a concert orchestra with a piece composed by Duke Georg Alexander (1859-1909) included in the performance.

During the 2014 season over 7000 guests visited the memorial. For information on opening times and admission prices for the 2015 season please click here to visit the memorials website.

After the opening the Duke and Hereditary Prince visited the new Mecklenburg-Strelitz Cultural Quarter in Neustrelitz before ending the day in Mirow where they visited the Palace Island and the family crypt in the Lower Tomb in the Church of St John.