History of the Commandery of Mirow

A meeting took place today at the Catholic Church and the ‘Mecklenburger Hof’ hotel in Mirow on the history of the former St John Commandery of Mirow during its time as part of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. The Commandery of Mirow was acquired by the House of Mecklenburg in the 1648 Peace of Westphalia from the Order of St John. The 1701 Treaty of Hamburg gave Mirow to the new state of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.

Today’s speakers were:

Pastor Dr. Ulrich Werbs giving the opening address,

Dr Rajko Lippert, historian and the Grand Ducal House’s spokesman, on the history of the dynasty from the 1701 Treaty of Hamburg until the death of the last Grand Duke,

Horste Ende on churches of the 18th and 19th century in Stargard,

Michael Berger on Saint John the Baptist patron of the Order of St John.