The shield itself is split into six quarters, two wide and three deep with a central shield. The quartering’s are arranged in the following order:
3 7 4
- The quarter for the Duchy of Mecklenburg consists of an upright cabossed crowned sable (black) Bull’s head with argent (silver) horns, ring in its snout, open mouth showing white teeth and a extended gules (red) tongue on an Or (golden) field.
- The quarter for the Lordship of Rostock consists of an Or (gold) griffin with extended gules (red) tongue and raised front right paw on an azure (blue) field.
- The quarter for the Principality of Schwerin is divided in two. The top half consists of the arms of Rostock, an Or (gold) griffin with extended gules (red) tongue and a raised front right paw on an azure (blue) field. The bottom half consists of a vert (green) field with an argent (silver) bordure.
- The quarter for the Principality of Ratzeburg consists of an argent (silver) cross with an Or (gold) crown hovering above it on a gules (red) field.
- The quarter for the Lordship of Stargard consists of a dexter (right) arm of a female with puffed sleeve coming out of the clouds holding an Or (gold) diamond ring on a gules (red) field.
- The arms of the Principality of Wenden (Lordship of Werle) consist of a couped crowned sable (black) bull’s head, on an angle, with argent (silver) horns, closed mouth and extended gules (red) tongue on an Or (golden) field.
- The centre shield for the County of Schwerin consists of a gules (red) and Or (gold) shield.
Above the shield are five crowned helmets, with gold plated grills, inner red lining and jewelled necklaces:
(centre helmet) Duchy of Mecklenburg, out of the crown are five pales conjoined: azure (blue), Or (gold), gules (red), argent (silver), sable (black), surmounted with a peacocks tail made up of five feathers upon which is a half obscured crowned sable (black) buffalo’s head.
(second from the right) County of Schwerin, two expanded wings, the sinister (left) Or (gold) and the dexter (right) azure (blue).
(second from the left) Lordship of Rostock, two erect elephant trunks divided “per fess” (half horizontally), top half Or (gold) and bottom gules (red).
(far left) Principality of Schwerin, an Or (gold) demi griffin with extended gules (red) tongue.
(far right) Principality of Ratzeburg, seven erect lances each with a small gules (red) banner near the point of each lance with one part flowing dexter (right) and the other to the sinister (left).
The dexter (right) supporter of the shield is an Or (gold) griffin with extended gules (red) tongue. The sinister (left) supporter is a sable (black) bull with argent (silver) horns and tail held aloft.
Crown and mantle
The mantle surrounding the shield consists of a purple cloak with ermine lining, tasselled and fringed with Or (gold) string and is surmounted with a grand ducal crown. The shield is also ensigned with a royal crown without a cap.