© Copyright 2010-2015

The Grand Ducal House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Das Großherzogliche Haus Mecklenburg-Strelitz


Bookmark and Share

London



Mecklenburg HouseThe modest Mecklenburg House located on Buckingham Gate street, near to Buckingham Palace, was acquired on a lease in 1889 by the Grand Duchess Augusta following the death of her mother the Duchess of Cambridge. Prior to her mothers death Grand Duchess Augusta had used her mothers apartments at St James’s Palace during her regular visits to London. The Grand Duchess gave her new London residence the name ‘Mecklenburg House’ which it retains to this day.


The house dates back to the early 18th century and was believed to have been built by the architect Captain William Winde who in 1706 was building Buckingham House, later Buckingham Palace, nearby to Mecklenburg House.


Home > The House > Residences > London